Re: Thoughts about the bug tracking system

On 21.07.2007 16:19 schrieb Don Armstrong:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, Bastian Venthur wrote:
>> For me the reference how to write bug reports is described here:
>>
>>   http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting.en.html
>>
>> where /usr/share/bugs is not even mentioned.
>
> I'm not really sure if that's the appropriate place to document
> /usr/share/bugs, but since reportbug is mentioned in the 6th
> paragraph, it is kind of included by reference. [It appears that

Not really -- at least not in my eyes. In my understanding this site
documents how to file bug reports. Reportbug and others are introduced
as tools to help to ease the pain of doing it by hand. But that does not
imply something like: emulate one of those tools' behavior as close as
possible.

/usr/share/bugs was in my opinion a reportbug specific feature, since it
wasn't documented on the above site on how to report bugs and since it
was the only program I knew which used the scripts in there.

> debian-bug.el doesn't actually do the /usr/share/bugs/<package>/*;
> thing either, so someone who actually uses that probably should file a
> wishlist bug.]
>
> That said, it would be rather trivial for me to add a brief paragraph
> explaining how to run those scripts and supply the output in the bug
> reporting instructions; perhaps I'll do so.

While you're at it, can you please also add reportbug-ng to the list of
tools helping the user to provide bug reports?

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org