Re: Question about "Depends: bash"

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 18:55 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 02:21:43PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > If we can support low end systems with *minimal* effort, fine, but you
> > are asking lots of *extra* effort.
>
> I think the two of you are spending far more effort *arguing* about this
> than it actually takes, in practice, to keep Debian scripts invoking /bin/sh
> compatible with dash.  That is, after all, the point you're currently
> arguing against, even though this result is already implied by policy's
> current mandate for POSIX-compliant maintainer scripts when using /bin/sh as
> an interpreter.  Has this requirement ever cost you (or anyone) so much
> development time that this thread is anything other than absurdly
> disproportionate?

Actually, I am not arguing against the desire to make scripts compatible
with dash.  That you think so indicates to me that I have been entirely
unsuccessful in getting people to believe me when I have (repeatedly)
tried to explain carefully what I *am* arguing.

I am arguing that the current policy requirement simply does not mean
what people think it means.

Thomas