Re: Question about "Depends: bash"

Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> writes:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:58:58 +0100
> Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
>
> But if they are concerned about the memory footprint of the shell
> used by default as /bin/sh, that is another matter. They can always
> install dash and symlink /bin/sh to it. This will not break scripts
> that use bash (unless they call bash as #!/bin/sh, but if they do,
> that's a bug in the script).

I believe he meant that.

The memory footprint[1] of bash is bothering in old PC's, so there are
real benefits trying to make without it; even on command line sessions
where alternative shell, like /bin/mksh, whose capabilities will
surpise even the bash enthusiasts.

Jari

[1] Stem desktop project for Debian
See near the end, under heading "4.3 Can I save even more memory - how?"
and Picture 17 titled "Memory consumption of various shells."
http://debian.cante.net/stem/faq/index.html