Re: Question about "Depends: bash"

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> writes:

> Am 2006-11-22 01:15:59, schrieb Jari Aalto:
>
> > The memory footprint[1] of bash is bothering in old PC's, so there are
>
> But what do you mean with an OLD PC?
>
> A 486?  Such computers should run busybox anyway.

PII with 62-128M, fairly common.

> For example my IBM TP570 (PII/366MHz/192MB)
> is happy with /bin/bash and fast enough.

"fast enought" is in the eye of a beholder. Try with PII/64M with
X deskop with 20 sessions of bash open. And opening firefox and xchat.

> > real benefits trying to make without it; even on command line sessions
> > where alternative shell, like /bin/mksh, whose capabilities will
> > surpise even the bash enthusiasts.
>
> I have tried a bunch of them and some have realy nice extension.  :-)

Anyway. What works for some is no indication of that it works for all.
I'm not sure why people are so enthustiastic with bash. It's just a
shell and there are alternatives to it - which are quite nice.

Jari