Re: Time to rethink ifupdown

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:43:22 +0100, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> said:

> also sprach Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> [2006.08.24.0334
> +0100]:
>> Python (and any language that depends on vast amounts of installed
>> infrastructure) seems a bit dodgy for a core low-level facility.

> It's a great language to develop stuff at a moderate speed.

> Also note that much of Debian started out as Perl. I won't compare
> the two, but it's basically the same. And there is python-minimal
> and I have heard rumours that it will be in base soon.

        If we were starting out from scratch, sure, there would be
 little difference -- but we already have  a minimal Perl essential
 package, and I am not sure bloating the minimal install with yet
 another scripting language is a good idea.

        If we are gonna be doing so, however, ruby is a better
 scripting language to add to base. Personally, I tink adding ayet
 another language would be a mistake, though.

        manoj
--
Ever wonder if taxation without representation might have been
cheaper?