Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 07:29:22PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> John Goerzen wrote:
> >> Because, hardware support seems to be better in Ubutuntu than in Debian?
> >> I've not tested it by myself, but I've heard from many people claiming
> >> that their hardware (especially Laptop hardware) works perfectly out of
> >> the box with Ubuntu but is a PITA to get working on Debian.
>
> > So it all depends on your perspective.  If you narrow your perspective
> > to "ia32 laptop hardware", perhaps Ubuntu supports more.  If you expand
> > it, I would say Debian supports more.
>
> I absolutely agree with you, off course Debian supports more hardware
> than Ubuntu. But that was not the point, Michelle claimed that hardware
> support depends entirely on the kernel, which is IMHO only one half of
> the truth. The end user usually understands under "hardware support",
> how well the system recognizes hardware and it's ability to get it
> working with a minimum of user interaction required. And from what I've
> heard Ubuntu seems to be ahead of Debian at this point.

My personal opinion about Ubuntu stable vs Debian stable:
* newer kernels
* nearly completely untested

In other words, Ubuntu _is_ ahead of Debian, both in the positive and
negative sense.  It releases a lot more often, so it obviously features more
recent kernels.  On the other hand, Ubuntu strongly suffers from the
tendency to include all the newest unstable doodads, so the path:

Ubuntu -> experimental -> unstable -> stable

is trodden often these days.  In the term of hardware drivers, people put
very little effort into stabilizing them once they appear to be working, so
for ia32 hardware coverage, Ubuntu does fare better on the average.  This
doesn't excuse them from shipping buggy drivers, which they do.

You can choose between a stable, solid distribution that lacks the newest
trinkets and something on the cutting edges that explodes at touch.  Testing
things takes time, and this is exactly what Debian does.  Is the choice
between Debian and Ubuntu a bad thing?

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be