Re: Time to rethink ifupdown

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:45:52 +0700, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

I would personally add ifrename to this list.

I would suggest udev instead.

This means you're suggesting a whole new aspect of functionality to be introduced to udev, because udev is currently, AFAIK, only for creating device nodes under /dev/.

and a proper interface for user interfaces.

What do you mean under this?

Like a HAL interface, or a socket, so we can have GNOME/KDE
applications easily configure networks on laptops.

Why is a socket better than proper UNIX-way command-line interface? (Proper UNIX-way includes producing machine-friendly output.)

Is there a reason to cling to ifupdown?

I guess that there is: there is a substantial amount of code
written and  tested, and ifupdown is widely accepted.

ifupdown does many things right. But it also needs a brushup. I just
prefer to start with a clean slate. You are free to do otherwise, or
team up with me. Ah, Free software. :)

As for me, I would personally prefer starting a new project like netconf in C or some other imperative language rather than contributing to ifupdown -- I'm not very good with the concept of literal programming. I believe that a good, solid programming style allows to express an algorithm better than paragraphs of prose. (That's just my personal opinion.)

--
Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>