Re: Time to rethink ifupdown

also sprach Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru> [2006.08.23.1610 +0100]:
> I would add my thoughts there but currently I know nothing about netconf
> beyond what's written on that page now. What is the scope of netconf? Is
> it supposed to supersede ifupdown, supplement it, or be an alternative? Is
> anything already implemented, or is it only an idea for now?

It's an idea with the final goal to provide most of what
ifupdown+guessnet+resolvconf do now, with better integration with
wireless-tools/wpasupplicant and ifplugd, and a proper interface for
user interfaces. A bit like network-manager, but done the Debian
way.

> Is there a  reason to start developing a new tool instead of
> enhancing ifupdown?

Is there a reason to cling to ifupdown?

netconf will be compatible.

> >Can I forward your post to the netconf mailing list?
>
> Yes, you're welcome. I've just subscribed to that list, BTW.

Mh, I don't have it anymore, of course. If you still do, please
bounce it.

: :'  :    proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
`. `'`     http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://debiansystem.info

drink canada dry! you might not succeed, but it *is* fun trying.