Re: package ownership in Debian

Hello,

Gustavo Franco wrote:

> * The package that contains only the Maintainer field with the name of
> a person and not a group can be uploaded by any DD. ping the current
> maintainer is good but not required;

I propose that under that policy, if someone NMUs a package without
clearing the patch with the maintainer first, that person is responsible
for the package until the maintainer acknowledges or reverts the NMU.

The rule of sending a patch to the BTS and giving a bit of time to reply
serves quality assurance more than it hurts, because you get a second
opinion, from a person who is familiar with the package.

> The core stuff will be more flexible and well maintained, if we don't
> have groups where just one person do all the work and others are there
> just to look cool.

But that is exactly what happens if you force group maintenance on
everyone. Only that within a group, you cannot even point at somebody
and say they are responsible for anything.

   Simon