Re: greylisting on debian.org?

On 7/9/06, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
also sprach Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> [2006.07.09.1430 +0200]:
> For example, that greylisting puts significant load on systems
> that deliver mail to us,

I am sorry, I don't buy this argument at all. First, a 4xx is not
"significant load" on any mailer unless you're running some piece of
crap. Sure, when you reach the thousands, even postfix could break
the occasional sweat, but which one server delivers thousands of
messages to continuously new from/rcpt combinations -- because
remember, greylisting caches.

The point was about mailers sending mail to debian. If they receive a
4xx they have to queue the mail and retry later. It's cheap for
debian, but expensive for everyone else.

A far more reasonable solution is to only greylist mail with an
unreasonably high spamassassin score. Normal mail I assume generally
doesn't score high and is not susceptable to greylisting.

Not that I mind, the amount of spam received via this mailing list is
so marginal I can hardly imagine people worrying about it.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/