Re: greylisting on debian.org?

also sprach Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> [2006.07.09.1548 +0200]:
> The point was about mailers sending mail to debian. If they receive a
> 4xx they have to queue the mail and retry later. It's cheap for
> debian, but expensive for everyone else.

My point was: even 100 such queued mails are not expensive nowadays
(unless your MTA is crap). If you have more than 100 queued mails
due to greylisting on debian.org, you are either a big provider and
can handle it, or a spammer.

> A far more reasonable solution is to only greylist mail with an
> unreasonably high spamassassin score. Normal mail I assume generally
> doesn't score high and is not susceptable to greylisting.

Sure. Or greylist only when it's from a dynIP address.

> Not that I mind, the amount of spam received via this mailing list is
> so marginal I can hardly imagine people worrying about it.

Your email address doesn't appear to be plastered all over Debian
package control files, changelogs, the bug tracking system, and the
mailing lists. Or at least not as much as some others. I get
somewhere between 200-400 spam messages into my debian.org account
per day.

`. `'`

*** important disclaimer:
by sending an email to any address, that will eventually cause it to
end up in my inbox without much interaction, you are agreeing that:

  - i am by definition, "the intended recipient"
  - all information in the email is mine to do with as i see fit and
    make such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it
    lends itself to. in particular, i may quote it on usenet.
  - i may take the contents as representing the views of your company.
  - this overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that
    may be included on your message.