Re: Debian and the desktop

Christian Perrier wrote:
> And, anyway, the KDE/Gnome thing is only one of the points I meant
> about the "usability" of our default desktop system, when we target
> our dear Bob User.

This is beyond tasksel, but Bob User would profit immensely from generic
menu entries. SuSE does this and I think it's very helpful. Most people
don't care, which web browser they are using and if they're browsing
through their application menu, they're confused by an entry called
"Kopete", while an entry called "Instant Messaging Program" is a lot more
helpful. So maybe menu should be extended to keep both forms, so that
the generic form can be chosen during installation. Once Bob User has
turned into Bob Hacker he can switch back to the detailed form.

Cheers,
        Moritz