Debian and the desktop (was: Re: Complaint about #debian operator)

(Dropping Josh and moving to -devel, as this is discussion is going
elsewhere)

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 01:59:05PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> However, some users just want a computer that works (the "plain
> users"). They don't want to have to learn too much about Linux or
> Debian, they just want to get work done.

I don't understand why for Etch, if a user chooses "Desktop" during
tasksel, they shouldn't get the just works[tm] experience.

This might take some effort, and perhaps some more tuning than just a
bunch of packages getting installed, but I think there is still time
left to make Etch rock on the desktop.  Hey, even Sarge seems pretty
much good enough for a lot of users already.

> Let them use Ubuntu.

Ubuntu's excellence shouldn't be an excuse to sit back and not make our
Desktop the best possible.

cheers,

Michael