Re: Debian and the desktop

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 10:28:28AM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Christian Perrier wrote:
> > And, anyway, the KDE/Gnome thing is only one of the points I meant
> > about the "usability" of our default desktop system, when we target
> > our dear Bob User.
>
> This is beyond tasksel, but Bob User would profit immensely from generic
> menu entries. SuSE does this and I think it's very helpful. Most people
> don't care, which web browser they are using and if they're browsing
> through their application menu, they're confused by an entry called
> "Kopete", while an entry called "Instant Messaging Program" is a lot more
> helpful. So maybe menu should be extended to keep both forms, so that
> the generic form can be chosen during installation. Once Bob User has
> turned into Bob Hacker he can switch back to the detailed form.

Hello Moritz,

There are several people interested with this.  As far as the Debian menu
system is concerned, I am no objection implementing this proposal.

What is needed at this point is a draft policy defining what will be
the new layout and what will be the generic titles.

However that will not affect the KDE and GNOME main menu, only the
Debian submenu.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>