Re: Debian and the desktop

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 10:28:28AM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Christian Perrier wrote:

>> And, anyway, the KDE/Gnome thing is only one of the points I meant
>> about the "usability" of our default desktop system, when we target
>> our dear Bob User.

> This is beyond tasksel, but Bob User would profit immensely from
> generic menu entries. Most people don't care, which web browser they
> are using and if they're browsing through their application menu,
> they're confused by an entry called "Kopete", while an entry called
> "Instant Messaging Program" is a lot more helpful. So maybe menu
> should be extended to keep both forms, so that the generic form can
> be chosen during installation. Once Bob User has turned into Bob
> Hacker he can switch back to the detailed form.

Display both forms is even better. Because if you have three menu
entries called "email client" you really want to have a way to
distinguish them. And when Debian / Gnome / ... changes their opinion
on which program should be _the_ email client / web browser / instant
messaging program, the user can still find the one he is used to,
because the he has always seen the name.

--
Lionel