Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

* Christian Perrier (bubulle@debian.org) wrote:
> > > Really? Do you actually believe that debian users would switch to
> > > Konqueror just because we stopped distributing Firefox in Debian?
> >
> > What about Galeon and the others Gecko-based browsers ?
>

> Non issue.
>
> Nearly all organizations care about internal standards. If the
> organization policy for web browsers is Firefox, every environment for
> which Firefox is not part of is out of the organization standard.
>
> This is how IT is handled in professionnal environments, like it or
> not. In short, as ONERA's policy will soon be that Firefox is the
> company's standard, I may be forced to drop off Debian as the official
> recommendation *I* am responsible for Linux systems if Debian drops
> Firefox out because of some license/trademark/whatever_you_call_it
> issues.

Please relax. The discussion is not whether we drop Firefox from the
distro. This will not happen, Firefox will still be here for as long
as it's free software and useful. The *only* issue is whether we can
use the name Firefox or not. No matter what is decided, the software
is going to be in Debian.

--
Eric Dorland <eric.dorland@mail.mcgill.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com