Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> wrote:

> The Debian Way (tm) would be to drop mozilla, firefox and thunderbird
> from Debian -- there's no reason what works with the FSF can't work
> with the MoFo.

The downside to this approach is that the Mozilla Foundation have no
good reason to /care/. They're a group that produces free software, but
they're not campaigning for freedom. In any case, we can make their
software DFSG-free by removing any references to the trademarks.
Dropping it entirely wouldn't really help anyone.

I ought to be seeing Gervase Markham in a couple of weeks - I'm happy to
bring this up with him in person. It'd be easier to do so if we could
firmly establish what we think is needed when it comes to trademark
issues like this. Perhaps that's better suited to -project?
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org