Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

> >> We drop their products from Debian, they lose market share. We drop
> > Really? Do you actually believe that debian users would switch to
> > Konqueror just because we stopped distributing Firefox in Debian?
>
> What about Galeon and the others Gecko-based browsers ?

Non issue.

Nearly all organizations care about internal standards. If the
organization policy for web browsers is Firefox, every environment for
which Firefox is not part of is out of the organization standard.

This is how IT is handled in professionnal environments, like it or
not. In short, as ONERA's policy will soon be that Firefox is the
company's standard, I may be forced to drop off Debian as the official
recommendation *I* am responsible for Linux systems if Debian drops
Firefox out because of some license/trademark/whatever_you_call_it
issues.

And, no, we won't switch to Galeon. Not unless there is a Windows port
(yes, I live in the real world, where MS-Windows exists and will exist
for a long time).

So, please, people who enjoy swimming in the nasty pool of licenses
and legal stuff, don't make me just ban Debian of my own company. Or
make me maintain "unofficial" firefox packages which will of course be
of lower quality than those from the firefox package maintainers in
Debian.

(for most people around who are unaware of it and for more clarity,
ONERA is the French Aerospace research center, where I'm responsible
for desktop systems architectures)

This is probably my first and last comment about this issue. I *hate*
legal discussions, licenses nitpicking and haircutting. I understand
that some people enjoy this and I even understand we need some people
to do so. But I feel there are enough *real* issues and we probably
should not begin to invent new ones..:-)

I know this mail will sound a bit rude but some parts of this thread
really made me nervous.

(taking pills now..:-)))