Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ...

Robert Lemmen <robertle@semistable.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:25:02AM -0600, Peter Samuelson wrote:
>> zsync already reaches inside a gzip file and effectively rsyncs the
>> uncompressed version.  No reason it couldn't be made a bit smarter so
>> as to look inside the components of a .deb ar file.  This being a
>> fairly interesting use case for zsync, I expect it's already being
>> considered, if not implemented.
>
> at least considered ;)
>
> seriously, if zsync stabilizes (which will take a while) it would
> provide us with a way (together with some other stuff) to sync our
> mirrors while taking only a fraction of the bandwidth currently needed.
> this can't be bad. but it would mean we have to store .zsync files
> besides the debs (+ ~1% size) and talk the mirror admins into running an
> update script that is way more complex than two-phase rsync and needs a
> wee bit more processing power on their side. anyway, it's too early to
> speculate about stuff like that...

It only shifts processing power from the upstream mirror to the client
mirror. No increase. If mirrors in turn shut down rsync support they
should see an overall decrease in cpu and I/O consumption. (the
enduser clients get the load).

And even if mirrors still do rsync the users themself can use zsync
and reduce the bandwith used by the mirror. That alone is worth it for
both mirrors and users.

> cu  robert

MfG
        Goswin