Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ... (Was: [Fwd: Re: GTK+2.0 2.6.2-3 and buildds running out of space])

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:25:02AM -0600, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> zsync already reaches inside a gzip file and effectively rsyncs the
> uncompressed version.  No reason it couldn't be made a bit smarter so
> as to look inside the components of a .deb ar file.  This being a
> fairly interesting use case for zsync, I expect it's already being
> considered, if not implemented.

at least considered ;)

seriously, if zsync stabilizes (which will take a while) it would
provide us with a way (together with some other stuff) to sync our
mirrors while taking only a fraction of the bandwidth currently needed.
this can't be bad. but it would mean we have to store .zsync files
besides the debs (+ ~1% size) and talk the mirror admins into running an
update script that is way more complex than two-phase rsync and needs a
wee bit more processing power on their side. anyway, it's too early to
speculate about stuff like that...

cu  robert

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com