Re: Ignoring the truth or Hiding problems?

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 10:19:48PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Op zo, 19-12-2004 te 18:48 +0100, schreef Goswin von Brederlow:
> > Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
> > > Your other ideas about time-limiting positions is wrong.  I am not
> > > able to name a single person in Debian I'd rather have as DAM than
> > > James.  He might have much to do and be slow in his duties, but what's
> > > more important is the trust he has.  The other people who might have
> > > the same level of trust usually don't want to become DAM.
> >
> > And what if he dies tomorrow? Debian will be left with no DAM, no past
> > DAM, noone that has the vaguest idea how to handle the
> > job. (overstating to make a point).
>
> Actually, we have two DAMs currently: Joey Schulze and James Troup.
> Currently, James is the only one actually processing NM requests
> (because he's got the most experience in doing so), but should he ever
> (touch wood) run under a car or something, then there /are/ people ready
> to take over.

So then why were no new maintainers processed this year for over a 6
month period? James was probably too busy with his Ubuntu work, but
that still leaves Joey...

> > Limiting the time is as much a means to prevent people hogging the
> > position as ensuring new people are trained and old people are
> > available for help.
>
> ... and a way to ensure that those people with the most experience in
> some job do not get to do it, so that the job isn't done properly.
> Thanks, but no thanks.

In the DAM case nothing was being done for at least half this year, so
I guess it is consensus that doing nothing all is better than allowing
someone to try to learn how to do it? :)

Chris