Re: RFC: common database policy/infrastracture

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, sean finney wrote:

    1. From a Debian point of view provide an option for debconf which
       just tells postinst not to create the database etc, because
       the bootstrap script would take over this job.
       Just provide the data which are needed in a defined interface
       instead.

this would certainly be possible, and as we've discussed there are
already hooks for this.  however, i think it's good practice to
isolate what needs to be done with administrative privileges
if at all possibile.
ACK.
But if I understand Karsten right, bootstraping GnuMed is something more than
creating a database and creating some tables.

So the idea came into my mind to create a system acount for the application
database maintainer (in this case gm-dbowner) with the same system login
parameters as postgres (only possibility ist to su gm-dbowner) and enable
only local ident authentication work.  Then we do not need to store any
password and the job can be done as this user.

    2. From the application point of view I could ask people to
       include an option which prevents the bootstrap script from
       doing the work which is just done.  I guess this is no big deal
       for the very responsive authors.

i really think this would be ideal.  patching the already existing
installer script to have a --noadmin option would then let the bulk
of the work remain in the script (which gives you the benefit of
still having something that works on non-debian systems),
Definitely.

i can continue uploading debs to experimental if you'd like.  currently
the authoratative source of the latest version is:

deb http://people.debian.org/~seanius/policy/examples/ ./
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~seanius/policy/examples/ ./
I would love if you would start with experimental upload.  I guess that over
Christmas time and keeping in mind that also others will give half-live 2
a chance (not me - never tried it) will not really speed up propagating new
packages to the Debian mirrors.  Because GnuMed will depend from your package
I would love if it would be available soon.

also, i've started an alioth project:

https://alioth.debian.org/projects/dbconfig-common/

to which i've migrated my cvs tree for the project.  i've also
started a mailing list, so if there's sufficient interest we
could use that as a channel for announcements/commits.
Just subscribed.

folks shouldn't need to read it :)
Sure, but if you like patches ...

Kind regards