Re: Ignoring the truth or Hiding problems?

* Ingo Juergensmann

| Therefore I recommend to broaden the control of who controls the universe
| and to ensure that not the same people have the control over and over again.
| - People in role positions should be exchanged/elected at a regular basis.

Why?  Why should I care who the buildd admin is?  They do their work,
usually well and I have _no way_ to know why I should elect A before B
as the $RANDOM_ARCH (say, powerpc) buildd admin.  In fact, I have no
idea why the powerpc buildd admin is.

| - no person should hold more than 2 positions at the same time
| - a person should only be able to hold the position for 2 times in a row at
| maximum.
| - whenever possible there should be a team to fulfill a position. Team
| members should be exchanged at a regular basis.
|
| These ideas are not my own, but were formed when discussing the problems
| with other DDs, who I expect to make a proper proposal for a change in
| Debian when Sarge has been released - finally. It's more than overdue and
| after that the problems really need to be addressed and solved.

You're not a DD, unlike what your sentence «.. with other DDs»
implies.

Your other ideas about time-limiting positions is wrong.  I am not
able to name a single person in Debian I'd rather have as DAM than
James.  He might have much to do and be slow in his duties, but what's
more important is the trust he has.  The other people who might have
the same level of trust usually don't want to become DAM.

The limitation you're proposing would imply that for instance Bdale
would have to stop being a porter for ia64, hppa or a member of the
CTTE.  Yeah, and Josip Rodin would have to stop being a policy editor,
a member of the www-team, part of the mirrors group, part of the doc
team, the bts team and the listmaster/listarchives group.  And Martin
Michlmayr being DPL, one of the people behind the partner program, NM
front desk and key signing coordinator.

All those taken from /intro/organization and intended to show that we
have people who help out a lot while holding more than two positions
and it works just fine.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-