Re: LCC and blobs

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Le samedi 11 d=E9cembre 2004 =E0 21:47 +0000, Matthew Garrett a =E9crit :
>> We put it in contrib
>> so that people know that by using this software, they will also have to
>> use non-free code. This is less obvious for drivers that use firmware in
>> flash, but it's still true.
>
> Where do you put xine, then? It works fine with only free code, but can
> open more formats when dlopen()ing optional non-free libraries. Should
> it go outside of main because it is "tainted"? I don't believe so; the
> user himself chooses to taint his system by installing these libraries.
> The problem is exactly the same for non-free blobs: the user will know
> he is installing some non-free stuff, either by downloading it from our
> non-free archive, either by installing it by himself.

xine should certainly remain within main - it's useful without any
non-free software. But then compare to, say, kernel-patch-2.6-bluez -
all the devices that this code will work with have non-free firmware,
though only one of them requires it to be loaded from userspace. Main or
contrib?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org