Re: LCC and blobs

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 03:49:48PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 11, Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > If it made any sense at all for a mainboard's BIOS to loaded by the
> > Linux kernel at boot time with a non-free firmware blob, the current
> > consensus (on debian-legal anyway) seems to be that Debian would not
> > support it.  Period.  The drivers for it would have to go in contrib.
> I did not notice there was a consensus on this.

You are the only person I've seen express views similar to mine on
debian-legal.  All other participants argue for non-free-firmware-using
drivers going in contrib.

Also, the current practice already is moving in this direction.  For
example, the ipw2100 driver is in contrib.

It's totally fucking insane, but hey, we seem to be fighting an uphill
battle against insanity.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!