Re: LCC and blobs

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:

>>> It doesn't. What matters is if the firmware itself is distributable at
>>> all and if it is DFSG-compliant.
>>
>> You aren't reading what I've written.  Virtually 100% of firmware
>> out there (included on the device or loaded externally) is non-free.  By
>> your reasoning, the entire kernel should be moved to contrib since no
>> free hardware exists on which it can run.
>
> Sure it runs on free hardware. On 100% free hardware. Take a pen, a
> paper and the boch source code and run your own linux on the pen+paper
> system. :)
>
> Ok, it's a bit insane, but possible.

While you have your pen and paper out, go ahead and write some hardware
that a contrib device driver can use without needing firmware loadable
by the kernel.  Put the firmware on the device itself.  That contrib
driver is now completely suitable for main by your definition.

There is no direct relationship between a device driver and a binary
firmware blob.  The driver simply drives a device.  It does not and
should not care how a device gets the firmware loaded.

That the currently available hardware requires firmware loaded by the
kernel is a hardware implementation detail.  If you don't like it,
complain to the hardware manufacturer, or buy your hardware from
somewhere else.  Hardware is not Debian's realm.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!