Re: Intent to mass-file bugs: FDL/incorrect copyright files

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:

> The ftp-masters are responsible for maintaining the archive, but they
> aren't responsible for everything that goes in.  I could upload an
> existing package right now that contains some new non-free bits and they
> wouldn't see it or block its inclusion.

If you did this deliberately, and you described the licenses in the
debian/copyright file, then they certainly would see it and block
inclusion.  If you deliberately didn't describe the licenses, then you
would be conducting yourself fraudelently.  And, if you got caught
committing a deliberate fraud, then certainly the packages would and
should get removed from the archive.

We even have a procedure: if there is a package in the archive which
should not be, then anyone can file a bug against the ftp.debian.org
pseudo-package, and the ftp masters will investigate.

> This is not a decision that should be made lightly.  I strongly believe
> removing all GFDL documents is a violation of the SC since it would be
> so hurtful to our users, without any clear benefit to "free software".
> We should not rashly remove all GFDL material simply to meet a strict
> interpretation of the DFSG.

You seem to be saying that the GFDL must be free for reasons which
have nothing to do with what the GFDL says, but only for reasons like
"it's really cool stuff".  I Agree it's cool stuff, but whether a
license is free or not has nothing to do with the value of the things
licensed under it.

Thomas