Re: Intent to mass-file bugs: FDL/incorrect copyright files

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> wrote:

> I'm asserting that debian-legal is not a decision-making group and has
> no authority to dictate whether the GFDL is free or not.  In fact, a
> number of the more vocal participants on debian-legal *are not
> developers*.

The status-quo is that the final decision on whether software will be
accepted or not is made by the FTPmasters. In general, if there is an
established and strong consensus on debian-legal, that will be listened
to.

There are two ways of making arguments against removing GFDLed material:

1) It doesn't meet the DFSG

(There's no real way that this argument can be made - if the GFDL were
being attached to code, we wouldn't even have questioned this. It allows
unmodifiable content, and makes awkward restrictions with practical
consequences)

2) It doesn't need to meet the DFSG

(V1.1 of the social contract claims that everything in Debian needs to
meet the DFSG, not just executable code. In full knowledge of this,
developers voted not to revert it)

If you want to argue the first, you're about 18 months too late. If you
want to argue the second, you're about 6 months too late. It's quite
clear that unless something dramatic happens, GFDLed material will be
removed from Debian after the Sarge release.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org