Re: Intent to mass-file bugs: FDL/incorrect copyright files

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> wrote:

> In any case, I think the GFDL is too well entrenched in Debian for the
> ctte to be summoned.  A GR is the only reasonable way to decide what to
> do with it.

I'm considering a GR on what I have for breakfast tomorrow. Except, no,
I'm not. That would be stupid. The situation with the GFDL is fairly
straight forward - we had a vote that altered the social contract in
such a way that documentation unambiguously has to be DFSG free. We had
another vote where, having had the consequences explained to them,
people chose not to revert that decision. Now you want another GR to
decide something that we've already decided?

GRs should be something that happen very rarely. They're the only thing
that let us change our infrastructure, and that's what they should be
limited to. Not rehashing decisions that have already been made. Not
trying to force people to behave in certain ways. And, depressingly, not
to let me avoid having to make my own mind up when faced with the choice
between toast and cereal.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org