Re: Security updates for sarge?

Manoj Srivastava [u] wrote on 23/10/2004 21:43:

I must admit I thought something similar: Why the hell are there
only two people who know how to do it, when two people doesn't seem
to be enough?

	Are you volunteering to go out and better educate yourself to
 take on this work?

You know perfectly well that there _are_ people out there who know how to do it. Also: I offered my help if it is wanted (see below), but I see no point in learning what's needed to work as a buildd or ftp admin for debian while I know perfectly well that helping hands in these areas is regularly declined by those in charge.

  It might be better if they postponed further work on
the buildd network and used that time to introduce others to the
job. In the end, this might very well speed up the whole process. At
least, it gets some more redundancy (what happens if one of them
gets ill while the other is on a prolonged journey?).  Two people
who can do the job certainly isn't nearly enough for such important
jobs in a project as big as Debian. I would think it should be at
least 5-6 people.

	Again, are you volunteering to go out and learn how to do it?

If my help is indeed wanted: Yes.
Under the current circumstances (with no definite acknowledgement that my help will be accepted): no. Also you are in no way responsive to my main point: Why are there only two people doing the job when quite a few more people have already offered to help (and are indeed qualified to do the job)?

 Or is this yet another time wasting rant?

You mean like your post?

Heck, If I were a DD, I would be glad to help whereever needed. The

	Ah. Just a spectator, booing and hissing at the people who
 have stood up to be counted.

And who decline help every time the subject of their work load comes up?
Also: No, not just a spectator. I have been advocating and deploying Debian for quite a while. Also I helped new users of Debian quite a lot. And my first Debian package has been uploaded almost two weeks ago and is still waiting in the NEW queue.

So, if my help is wanted with one of the first three of those, I
will gladly file a NM application immediately.

	Please do.

Fine. Where do you want me to help? When I know where my help is wanted and accepted, I will gladly file the application. Until then I currently see no point in doing so (putting more load on the DAM without having actual work for me to do).

>  We need more workers, and less lawyers.

Exactly my point. Problem is that the current workers are doing everything to keep others from being able to do their work.

cu,
sven