Re: Security updates for sarge?

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 00:30:37 +0200, Sven Mueller <sm@leogic.com> said:

> Manoj Srivastava [u] wrote on 23/10/2004 21:43:
>>> I must admit I thought something similar: Why the hell are there
>>> only two people who know how to do it, when two people doesn't
>>> seem to be enough?
>> Are you volunteering to go out and better educate yourself to take
>> on this work?

> You know perfectly well that there _are_ people out there who know
> how to do it.

	And don't seem to have the time or the motivation to do it,
 i=or it would have been done.  Until it is done, all people who rant
 at the current situation would be better off learning how to and
 actually doing something, rather than coming out with more hot air.

>  Also: I offered my help if it is wanted (see below),

	And that is very good indeed.

> but I see no point in learning what's needed to work as a buildd or
> ftp admin for debian while I know perfectly well that helping hands
> in these areas is regularly declined by those in charge.

	Umm, empty promises are often ignored, yes. Setting up a
 tested infrastructure, I think, would not be ignored.

> If my help is indeed wanted: Yes.  Under the current circumstances
> (with no definite acknowledgement that my help will be accepted):

	That's not how things work.

> no.

	Ah. Thought not.

> Also you are in no way responsive to my main point: Why are there
> only two people doing the job when quite a few more people have
> already offered to help (and are indeed qualified to do the job)?

	Cause they got off their butt and did things? (rather than
 talk about how good they would be at helping out, if only people
 formed cheering squads and go Rah! rah! rah!

>> Or is this yet another time wasting rant?

> You mean like your post?

	Yup, mine was an anti-rant rant.

>>> Heck, If I were a DD, I would be glad to help whereever
>>> needed. The

>> Ah. Just a spectator, booing and hissing at the people who have
>> stood up to be counted.

> And who decline help every time the subject of their work load comes
> up?

	You ain;t ever gonna get a gilded invitation. That is not how
 free software works.

>>> So, if my help is wanted with one of the first three of those, I
>>> will gladly file a NM application immediately.

>> Please do.

> Fine. Where do you want me to help?

	Weherever you can scratch your itch.

> When I know where my help is wanted and accepted, I will gladly file
> the application. Until then I currently see no point in doing so
> (putting more load on the DAM without having actual work for me to
> do).

	Don't bother. With that attitude, I don't think you are gonna
 last long in free software. If you continue to look externally for
 gilded invitations and  rah! rah! aquads.

>> We need more workers, and less lawyers.

> Exactly my point. Problem is that the current workers are doing
> everything to keep others from being able to do their work.

	If the so called wanna-be workers are so easily dissuaded, I
 am not sure they aree the workers we are looking for. Moving along
 now.

	manoj
--
And miles to go before I sleep. Robert Frost