Re: Security updates for sarge?

Ingo Juergensmann [u] wrote on 22/10/2004 18:35:

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 06:13:46PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:

Because they have set up and maintain the buildd network.

Yes, nice, well done, thank them for their initial work, but it seems as if
it's up for others now to take over that job, because they obviously failing
continuously doing it now.

I must admit I thought something similar:
Why the hell are there only two people who know how to do it, when two people doesn't seem to be enough? It might be better if they postponed further work on the buildd network and used that time to introduce others to the job. In the end, this might very well speed up the whole process. At least, it gets some more redundancy (what happens if one of them gets ill while the other is on a prolonged journey?). Two people who can do the job certainly isn't nearly enough for such important jobs in a project as big as Debian. I would think it should be at least 5-6 people.

Similar things could be said about ftpmasters. New packages are supposed to be added to unstable within at most one week, but I'm waiting for ten days now. (Yeah, I know, still not _that_ long.) I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Heck, If I were a DD, I would be glad to help whereever needed. The most pressing bits seem to be (from my POV):
1) buildd network (especially because of sarge/security)
2) ftpmaster (seems to be overwhelmed in work for months now)
3) new-maintainer process (though it seems to have sped up considerably
   during the last year)
4) security team (though I'm not sure how bad the situation is)

So, if my help is wanted with one of the first three of those, I will gladly file a NM application immediately.

cu,
sven