Re: daily pestering about s390 and sparc buildd failure

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 05:52:31AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> > Testing/debugging per frequent uploads via the buildds would mean that the
> > project doesn't need any developer accessible means and all debugging can be
> > done via uploading packages and reading buildd logs.
> Except that "testing by frequent uploads" was not what I did.  I had a
> problem which I had already determined did not happen in normal builds
> on my machine or the failing systems, and did not happen inside
> pbuilder on my machine.

But - as you've figured out yourself - a buildd doesn't use pbuilder, but
sbuild. So, why haven't you tested with sbuild on your own?

> > (and when there's a problem with sbuild you can download sbuild (as well
> > buildd) and start debug on your own machine. [...]
> Well, I used pbuilder at Blars Blarson's suggestion.  But of course I
> did this first; I did not simply "test by frequent uploads".  I made
> only one test upload, and it did not in fact impact the overloaded
> buildds at all.

How can you now that? A new uploads *always* triggers rebuilding on all
archs of your package. Take arm or mips as an example. When someone built
your package manually and uploaded it, it must be rebuilt *again*.
Now imagine that you're not the only developer who uploads packages. And
maybe there's one who thinks "hey, thomas bushnell did that, so I can do
that as well when trying to fix my bugs!"

> And, I took that step only when I was convinced that the problem
> didn't happen on my machines (ppc and i386) at all, in any build
> environment.  (I was correct about this, btw.)

I never said that your way might not bring a solution up to *you*, but your way
is *not* the way to handle this kind of things. Definitely. Never ever.

A buildd is not a testd. Some archs have *serious* problems in keeping up
and when more developers acting as you did, there will never be a way to
make a release again.

To learn more about buildds you may want to visit http://www.buildd.net/ or
other ressources on the web.

--