Re: Fresh installation: Keymap broken under X

Le mercredi 25 août 2004 à 17:06 +0200, Christian Perrier a écrit :
> Debian Installer currently does not configure the keyboard for X
>
> X debconf templates ask for this but at medium priority....which means
> that users installing at default priority will miss the question.
>
> This leads to what you found and which is a very well known (by both
> D-I team and X team) problem.
>
> A solution lies in Konstantinos localization-config package which
> could preseed X debconf entries based on the locale. See threads about
> this in -boot or -i18n
>
> However, this (forcing localization-config to be installed and run)
> would require changes to base-config, which is currently frozen. I
> guess the D-I team will discuss this very soon. This is a somewhat
> risky change at a time we're very close to have a stable installer.
>
> But, we will both agree that the behaviour you got will be confusing
> to all users with non US keyboards.....:-(

Confuse? This renders the system almost unusable until you fix it by
hand. When we have an installer which has become quite usable by non-
techies, such a bug is a giant leap backwards.

If you can't modify base-config, please at least make the question
priority: high. It is strange to be asked twice about the same thing,
but it is much better than not having it working at all.