Re: RFC: associate upstream email with every source package

Kenneth Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org> writes:

> It's unfortunate, but there are a good number of maintainers who don't
> see this as their responsibility.  I've been bit before where upstream
> actually wrote the bug back asking for more information, and the
> maintainer never even replied ("I don't have time to track upstream
> bugs.").

Of course.  Such people are doing a bad job.  We don't have a good way
to deal with maintainers who do a bad job.  I've done a bad job myself
in the past (though not in this particular way).  We have generally
thought that it is better to do a bad job than no job at all, but we
should encourage others to.

If people say "I don't have time" for things which are their
responsibility (and the maintainer's guide says this one is), then
they should request help--or have it requested for them.

> On the other hand, I'm not sure that this new "easy to email"
> functionality is really needed, because upstream developers can
> achieve the same result by subscribing to bug reports in the PTS.
> Or am I missing something?

Upstream developers should not be expected to do ANYTHING with Debian
stuff.  It is the job of the Debian maintainer to do this.