Re: Web applications

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:

>> I am maintaining a package of drupal, a CMS written in PHP that
>> offers support for MySQL and PostgreSQL (it used to support MSSQL,
>> too) and it wouldn't help my package if the web application policy
>> strictly depended on LAMP.
>
> Then you can code your package to use either of a PgSQL or a MySQL
> database.

I have already gone through great pains to provide just that
functionality. My point is that an abstraction system would not help
at all in my case: A system that is deliberately limited to assume a
specific database engine would not be much of an improvement over the
way we currently do things.

> But the abstraction system still needs to know what sort of database
> it is, because there are plenty of webapps that will only work with
> one, and presenting a list of PgSQL databases to a webapp that will
> only work with a MySQL DB is unpleasant, to say the least.

Then the package's maintainer script should tell the system what
database engines it can talk to.