Re: Web applications

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 12:58:58PM +0300, Kai Hendry wrote:
> Web applications as packages in Debian suck.

Testify, my friend!  (And that's coming from a guy with two of them in
Debian).

> They're usually the LAMP(Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP/Python/Perl) sort and
> when it comes to setup a mysql root password needs to be asked and an
> apache config include question. These questions are avoidable.
>
> Christian Hammer's package mysql-server (>= 4.0.20-8) now features a
> debian-sys-maint super user which can setup mysql users and databases.

But only if you're setting up the DB on the local machine, presumably.
Which, if you want to be proper about it, isn't necessarily a good idea.

For this, I've envisaged some sort of ODBC-alike registry of available
database engines (which is why it's not ODBC) where we have the
configuration for each DB server available to the machine, and when a
package is installed, a list of the available database servers comes up and
asks "where do you want this?".  If there's only one (as there would be by
default if you've installed a local {postgresql,mysql}-server) then the
question can be skipped and everyone's happy.

> The apache question. I've mailed already to debian-apache [2] with no
> reply. Perhaps we can discuss Web Applications right here on
> debian-devel? I would like to eventually see a policy of how they should
> be deployed in Debian. Then the apache include question can be avoided.

The apache include question is, AFAICT, basically solved.  Drop a symlink
in /etc/apache/conf.d and let $DEITY sort them out.

> My timing is pretty bad. I should bring this up again post-release.

Probably.  But what the hell.  We're talking about it now.

- Matt