Re: Web applications

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 09:31:18PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > Christian Hammer's package mysql-server (>= 4.0.20-8) now features a
> > debian-sys-maint super user which can setup mysql users and databases.
> But only if you're setting up the DB on the local machine, presumably.
> Which, if you want to be proper about it, isn't necessarily a good idea.

Mysql on a remote machine sounds less proper to me. :) But good point.
This problem needs to be solved.

> asks "where do you want this?".  If there's only one (as there would be by
> default if you've installed a local {postgresql,mysql}-server) then the
> question can be skipped and everyone's happy.

This sounds good. No questions.

> The apache include question is, AFAICT, basically solved.  Drop a symlink
> in /etc/apache/conf.d and let $DEITY sort them out.

Urgh, questions. The user has to tell what apache they're using!? Are
you running apache, apache2, or apache-ssl? This sort of question must
be avoided.

I have just come across wwwconfig-common. Perhaps it just needs some
patches regarding the new powers of debian-sys-maint of mysql-server,
its importance re-instated and the "apache type" (httpd) question
scrutinised (again).