Re: Web applications

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 02:44:40AM +0200, Hilko Bengen wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:
> >> With ODBC in mind, I don't think we should waste time abstracting
> >> for other DBMSs for the moment.
> >
> > I don't think it's worth it at all. I'd say the majority of webapps
> > / other database-liking things don't work with multiple DBMS'
> > anyway.
>
> Since you're putting effort into abstracting locel / remote databases
> already, giving users the opportunity to work with other systems than
> just MySQL isn't that much extra work.
>
> I am maintaining a package of drupal, a CMS written in PHP that offers
> support for MySQL and PostgreSQL (it used to support MSSQL, too) and
> it wouldn't help my package if the web application policy strictly
> depended on LAMP.

Then you can code your package to use either of a PgSQL or a MySQL database.
But the abstraction system still needs to know what sort of database it is,
because there are plenty of webapps that will only work with one, and
presenting a list of PgSQL databases to a webapp that will only work with a
MySQL DB is unpleasant, to say the least.

- Matt