Re: Web applications

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:

>> With ODBC in mind, I don't think we should waste time abstracting
>> for other DBMSs for the moment.
>
> I don't think it's worth it at all. I'd say the majority of webapps
> / other database-liking things don't work with multiple DBMS'
> anyway.

Since you're putting effort into abstracting locel / remote databases
already, giving users the opportunity to work with other systems than
just MySQL isn't that much extra work.

I am maintaining a package of drupal, a CMS written in PHP that offers
support for MySQL and PostgreSQL (it used to support MSSQL, too) and
it wouldn't help my package if the web application policy strictly
depended on LAMP.