Re: Wwwconfig-common, was: Re: Web applications

Pierre Habouzit <pierre.habouzit@m4x.org> writes:

> Le Jeu 19 Août 2004 19:50, Ola Lundqvist a écrit :
>> Yesterday I did a reverse depends on wwwconfig-common and was a bit
>> surprised. So many packages depending on my hack! I thought that maybe
>> 7-10 packages depended on it, but not 48!!! Well some are my own but
>> really not all of them.
>
> it's because it's a marvelous idea, it's normative, and you can assume
> that the tool will evolve with the package it allows to configure. it's
> cool for a packager.
>
> that's why we cannot really rewrite wwwconfig-common, but replace it
> with a new package, with new things in it.

Perhaps more than one package: At the moment, wwwconfig-common does
two things well:

1. Querying/Editing Apache config files
2. Setting up databases (good support for MySQL, decent support for
   PostgreSQL)

Usage of the /etc/apache/conf.d/ directory probably makes most cases
of (1) unnecessary, but (2) needs some work, especially for
adding/deleting users and databases.

> wrt to the interpreter, I agree, we have not to depend on too much
> things. Shell scripts are fine, be we can use perl too (it's
> «standard») for example. But I like the sh thing, that with a bit of
> dialog, I think all will be just fine.

The only real problem I have with the shell scripts is that they are
so poorly documented.

A nice thing to have available to posinst scripts would be a script
that checks whether a database setup that has been specified using
Debconf is available at all.