Re: Please participate in popularity-contest

On 2004-08-10 Tore Anderson <tore@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> * Andreas Metzler

>  > Dear. Just look at it. That is what is happening. You just have to select
>  > the right option.

>   Again, I'm aware that it is possible to override the default values
>  and thus enable all of Exim's functionality.

"Selecting the correct choice" and "overriding the default values" are
different things, as far as my command of English goes.

>  What I'm arguing is that
>  «internet site» should be the default preselected choice, just like it is
>  in the Exim 3 package.  That way remote email will work in most cases
>  without demanding that the user must configure the MTA differently than
>  the default.

>   I mean - how many users do you think are genuinely interested in
>  configuring an MTA?  My guess is:  very very few - because most of
>  them just want their email to work out of the box.

Well, "internet site" does not implement this for everybody without a
fixed IP address, which I'd guess applies to more than 90% of our
installations. Being listed on DUL guarantees that direct SMTP
delivery does not work _reliably_. Blocking outgoing connections to
port 25 except to smarthost is not uncommon either.
                  cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"