Re: Please participate in popularity-contest

* Andreas Metzler

 > Well, "internet site" does not implement this for everybody without a
 > fixed IP address, which I'd guess applies to more than 90% of our
 > installations. Being listed on DUL guarantees that direct SMTP
 > delivery does not work _reliably_. Blocking outgoing connections to
 > port 25 except to smarthost is not uncommon either.

  Of course, I do not expect that the package should perfectly handle
 all kinds of installations - it's true that the «internet site»
 option wouldn't work in all scenarios such as when an ISP blocks
 port 25 egress or if you as and dial-up user try correspond with an
 overzealous spam vigilante who refuses incoming connections based on
 DULs alone.  Fortunately, use of such measures seems to be used only
 by a (not insignificant, though) minority of ISPs and postmasters.

  However, using «internet site» in these scenarios is no worse than
 using the local-only option - the outgoing email will in both cases
 simply bounce back to sender.

  The local-only option, on the other hand, guarantees with 100%
 percent certainity that remote deliveries will -never- work, even
 in the many cases where they easily could.  I still do not comprehend
 how it is possible for you to look upon this as the best default.

  Anyway, it seems we're getting nowhere.  EOD?

Kind regards,
--
Tore Anderson