On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 08:30:04AM +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 02:16:00AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
> > PS: I greatly value the work you have done but I don't like this "I'm
> > above the law' kind attitude.
>
> Since "Animal Farm" we know:
>
> "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."

I kind of suspect some people have been reading 1984 too many times,
considering the amount of conspiracy theories that are weathered ever
so often on various Debian-lists...  There is no conspiracy against
AMD64, it's just a question of bad timing.  Trying to combine

a.) low diskspace on mirrors (known problem, getting worse all the time)
b.) release of Sarge

and

c.) another architecture

just isn't realistic.  a.) is being actively worked on, b.) too.
c.) requires a.) to be solved first, and *will*, no matter how much you
close you eyes and say "Noooooo, AMD64 is totally free from bugs",
further delay b.).

In this thread I'm mostly witnessing half-truths (or hopefully just
ignoramus) and and bitter whining rather than constructive ideas, to an
extent I've rarely encountered before[1].  If you care about AMD64 (and
I'm not talking specifically to you Ingo, I just decided to jump in on
your quote), forget about the GR-proposal, help fix the RC bugs in base
and standard.  Just because those bugs aren't AMD64-specific, doesn't
mean they don't block AMD64.  In fact, as soon as Sarge is ready for
release, everyone except for the stable release manager will have a lot
more time to deal with AMD64.

Bitching won't help AMD64 to get into Sid faster.  Helping out with
things that block the release of Sarge will.  AND tends to create a lot
more goodwill than whining your ass off does.  Make sure that everything
works perfectly, so that a nice slip-in of AMD64 into Sarge r1 will be
a no-brainer.  And trying to get AMD64 into Sarge is just plain silly.
It's not even in Sid yet.  Not even silly 10kB packages goes directly
into testing without passing Sid.  Does anyone really consider it sane
to let an entire new architecture in without at least being part
of Sid for, say, half a year or so?  Especially in a situation where we
*hopefully* can release Sarge within that timeframe[0]?

Don't feel like fixing RC-bugs?  Write missing manual-pages; there are
still a lot of packages missing manual-pages.  Or even better, make
sure existing manual-pages are up to date.  While it's in no way
RC for Sarge, having a well-documentated Sarge surely makes a better
impression.

If nothing else, stop prolonging this thread further[2].  Repeating
your message won't help.  It will however increase the probability of
getting killfiled.  And then you can be _sure_ that your message won't
ever get heard.

Oh, and please stop perpetuating the widespread, incorrect belief that
James Troup is the only FTP-master.  He isn't, he's part of a team.

BTW: Feel open to flame.  I don't killfile anyone (well, except for
spammers).  I might not answer, but at least I read the mail I get.

Regards: David Weinehall

[0] Yes, I'm an optimist.
[1] And I've been active in politics for more than 10 years.
[2] Yes, I'm fully aware of that this post does that too...
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //