On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 06:04:44PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Ingo Juergensmann <ij@2004.bluespice.org> wrote:
>
> >Nobody forced you to take over a job - but if you take over a task, you
> >should be able to get forced to do something that is part of your job.
>
> You can't force anyone to do anything in Debian. If they fail to live up
> to their responsibilities, you can petition the DPL to change them.
> Whoever they're replaced with still can't be forced to do anything.
>
> I think you fail to understand the concept of "volunteer".

I think a lot of people in debian misunderstand the concept of 'volunteer',
including and especially yourself.

To volunteer means to give one's services voluntarily and free of charge.
That's ALL it means.

It doesn't imply that the volunteer can pick and choose what he feels like
doing.  He needs to do the job that he agreed to do.  If he doesn't have the
time to perform 100% of the job tasks, he still 'owns' the tasks and should
be responsible for delegating them to other volunteers and making sure they
get done.  If he doesn't, he is a failure, and should either step down or be
replaced.

You and others who are advocating this alternate definition of 'volunteer'
should really stop it.  You are damaging the project when you enable failed
volunteers to justify their actions.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>