On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:06:49 -0700, Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> said:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 06:04:44PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> Ingo Juergensmann <ij@2004.bluespice.org> wrote:
>>
>> >Nobody forced you to take over a job - but if you take over a
>> >task, you should be able to get forced to do something that is
>> >part of your job.
>>
>> You can't force anyone to do anything in Debian. If they fail to
>> live up to their responsibilities, you can petition the DPL to
>> change them.  Whoever they're replaced with still can't be forced
>> to do anything.
>>
>> I think you fail to understand the concept of "volunteer".

> I think a lot of people in debian misunderstand the concept of
> 'volunteer', including and especially yourself.

> To volunteer means to give one's services voluntarily and free of
> charge.  That's ALL it means.

> It doesn't imply that the volunteer can pick and choose what he
> feels like doing.  He needs to do the job that he agreed to do.  If
> he doesn't have the time to perform 100% of the job tasks, he still
> 'owns' the tasks and should be responsible for delegating them to
> other volunteers and making sure they get done.  If he doesn't, he
> is a failure, and should either step down or be replaced.

> You and others who are advocating this alternate definition of
> 'volunteer' should really stop it.  You are damaging the project
> when you enable failed volunteers to justify their actions.

	This displays a profound misunderstanding of what being a DD
 and an office holder in Debian implies (which is surprising, seeing
 that you are a DD).

	Yes, I volunteered to do a job, to the best of my ability,
 and in the best manner that I can determine. I shall do the job the
 best way I see, and not jump when other people tell me to do
 something else. You can't force me to work against my best judgement.

	I don't give a shit if you pass a GR. I am still going to do
 what I signed up to do the best way I can do it.

	manoj
--
Alex Haley was adopted!