Op za 14-02-2004, om 10:44 schreef Mathieu Roy:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:08:11AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> >> He said "inappropriate from a non-developer".  That is the part I'm
> >> reacting to.
> >
> > The only people who have any say in how Debian acts is Debian members,
> > and the people they as individuals listen to.
>
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract
>
>     Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software
>
>     We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
>     community. We will place their interests first in our priorities.
>
> How can you say you will place interest of people not having any say
> in how Debian acts first in your priorities?

"We will be *guided* by the needs of our users [...]" (emphasis mine,
but you probably saw that already). That doesn't mean "we'll jump at
their every whim", or even "we'll do whatever our users tell us to do".
It means we'll listen to them, and let their opinions and remarks
influence our decisions, but that ultimately the Debian Developers will
be the ones who finally take the decision, not the users.

> Please, amend the Debian social contract, if it does not reflect
> reality.

It does, but your interpretation of it doesn't.

--
Wouter Verhelst
Most people have two reasons for doing anything -- a good reason, and