Re: Fam mustn't depend on portmap (was Re: new portmap packages, testers wanted)

On 22-Jan-04, 12:08 (CST), Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:
> Was Steve's point, then, that using portmap for anything that requires
> only a single port number - rather than a listing of all running
> services - is "way overkill"?

I was also thinking that portmap could be configured to advertise a
particular "service", and then start the actual server when it was
accessed, but I was confusing it with the CORBA equivalent, so I guess
I'll back off on the "way overkill" part.

It may be of interest to go to http://securityfocus.com/bid/keyword/ and
search for "portmap"[1]. I was surprised at how *few* there were.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net