Re: Fam mustn't depend on portmap (was Re: new portmap packages, testers wanted)

On 20-Jan-04, 12:39 (CST), Joerg Wendland <joergland@debian.org> wrote:

>  - ask portmap for program sgi_fam

Just out of curiousity, why doesn't it just use getservbyname() (on
localhost)? If I submitted a patch to do so (before falling back to
RPC), would it be considered? That way, most local users wouldn't need
portmap.

Hmmm, I seem to be assuming that a famd is running, which the portmapper
technique wouldn't require. Is that show stopper? Is there any reason
that famd can't just run all the time, like any other daemon? Presumably
if no one is actually monitoring any nodes, the overhead is negligible.

I guess I need to look at the fam source before I get myself in any
deeper.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland