Fam mustn't depend on portmap (was Re: new portmap packages, testers wanted)

Steve Greenland wrote:
Why is fam using portmap? Ah, I see, so that it can monitor remote files
and directories. Therefore, it only needs portmap if NFS is configured,
and therefore portmap will already be running/configured.

Thus, instead of fscking around with portmap, fix fam so that it only
uses portmap if it's available.

Quite right; that's obviously the correct fix.

Seems to me this is an important bug in fam, and I hope fam will be fixed quickly.